View Single Post
Old 03-17-2019, 12:57 PM   #9
Jeff1971

Re: Ever see inside a double wall top?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972 Jimmy View Post
Awsome pics! Got a couple questions for you. Were you able to remove the whole outer shell in one piece? if so how did you separate it around the windows? Also can you take a couple of pictures of the inner channel where the top mounts to the bedsides. curious on how the nuts are fastened to the inner channel.
Thanks eric
The outer shell has to come off one side at a time. There is a center fiberglass channel that provides much of the support front to rear. This is why when a sunroof is added a lot of the strength is lost. I only have one side off so far. I’m going to develop my methods on the first half first then adapt what works to the second half. As far as separating the seam around the window, I just used a sharp and stiff putty knife and a rubber mallet to slowly open the seam.

Here is the mounting block inside the frame below the window.

Name:  4C7D2231-25BF-4EBB-8624-3F98D30FB97F.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  36.6 KB.

It’s just riveted to the lower frame by 2 aluminum rivets. I’m going to remove mine and clean them all up. It’s really easy to just rivet them back on once they are done.
It would be very cool to replace all of those individual blocks with one continuous strip. It would work on all of the except the one in the very back. It’s integrated into the rear metal support frame that surrounds the hatch opening.

Jeff
Jeff1971 is offline   Reply With Quote