View Single Post
Old 05-28-2004, 05:45 PM   #19
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I am presently working on an install of a 2000 LS-1 5.7 engine into a '68' Chevy pickup and I have been working all of the angles for the install.
The 5.3 IS a LS series motor. (same block, different pan and intake) The intake did run a better flow pattern and power curve on a 5.7 engine than the LS-1 or LS-6 intakes in the "Chevy High Performance" magazine, last month. The intakes off of the trucks are considered the "Big Ugly", because of it's looks and design. My plans include the use of a chromed Wieand intake that is ported to the heads, along with the upgrades on the MAF sensor. I am also using the automatic transmission (4l60E) with the modified rear tube for the manual speedo drive. The engine will need the modified motor mount plates to allow for mounting on the factory motor mounts in the truck. The fuel tank is the other item of concern, fuel pump mounted in the tank, etc. The computer will need to be mounted in the cab and the wiring harness will need to be modified to eliminate the secondary O2 sensors and the "VATS" program, as well as the purge canister, these mods will give a boost in horsepower. STREET AND PERFORMANCE in Mena, Ark. is a good source for all of this.

I drove a 68 chevy with this setup in it and there was no way to glue the tires to the ground. Step into it at the line and instant smoke. Let off the gas and coast down to 30 mile per hour, drop the gear shift into second and once again instant tire smoke. These LS-1 motors are incredible for building horsepower, not to mention that they are an all aluminum motor and are 150 pounds lighter than your average 350 engine. As for the install of new technology in an old truck. It is getting harder and harder to get real efficiency out of a standard carb/intake setup and with the price of gas I want to get everything that I can from the investment that I make at the pump. GM rates these motors at 320 hp to 405 hp, depeneding which application they come out of, AT THE REAR WHEELS not the fly wheel. With changes in the computer, one can kick the motor 50 horsepower without any wrench turning, get the wrenches out and get 100 hp more (cam, intake, exhaust, and heads). I can't lose on this deal.

Last edited by piecesparts; 05-28-2004 at 06:12 PM.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote