View Single Post
Old 03-23-2019, 10:22 PM   #65
McDeezl

Re: '72 GMC long/fleet in Ottawa area

A couple of other items off the list .... got the dome and cargo light install finished. Had to chase down a ground issue with the well known and documented "white wire". They operate by switched ground which comes from the headlight switch when turned ccw. In order for that to work the switch body itself needs to be grounded to the dash metal connection so had to scuff that up a bit for proper contact. I guess 45 years ago somebody thought that was a brilliant idea designing an electrical circuit that way!
Installed the fuel fill neck grommet which actually went better than I anticipated. Soaked it in soapy hot water for 15 mins and then added undiluted dishsoap to both the cab metal opening and the metal fill neck. Took a bit of persuasion with plastic pry tools but about 15 minutes and it was in.

So not a lot of items left on the sparks and bolts to do list ...
- Modify park brake foot lever and install with new Lokar cable assy
- Transmission cooling lines - just a jumper hose at the moment but will be 6ANC braided stainless hose and JIC fittings.
- Re-install the seat in the cab
- Door mirrors and rearview mirror
- Finish door windows and hardware (latches are done)

Should be able to knock those off in the next month or two and then probably May will be back to body and paint season. Hopefully this is the last and final season! Will start with the hood but I have a real nice condition one that should be quick and easy to do. Then its the box which will be a ton of work. Have mint condition used stuff described in post above and will need to get new aftermarket left bed side and tailgate. Will be doing a hardwood bed but that would be a real nice winter project I figure.
Attached Images