View Single Post
Old 03-25-2019, 09:21 AM   #8
curvedglass

Re: swapping in a saginaw 3spd OD..need info

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
I just put the Muncie version (4 bolt side cover) in my 63 over Christmas break. Did not have to shorten driveshaft from the old, long tail shaft 3 speed. Just needed a new yoke with different splines. Mine is a long bed, but it had a one piece driveshaft when I got it.
I love it, and it completely changed the driveability of the truck. I can run around 70 mph at around 2200 rpm with 3.73 gears and 255/70r15 tires
I have mine set up to factory operation except for the HEI distributor mod and using a studebaker switch instead of the GM switch to keep costs down.

Here is the one biggest thing that I did not find out until the trans did it: DO NOT let the trans attempt to engage overdrive while the engine is freewheeling. This situation will happen when you are going downhill in a neighborhood and want to stay below the cut in speed of the OD trans (around 28 mph). If you allow the truck to reach that cut in speed, but the engine is sitting at idle, it will try to engage OD, and it made a big clunk and shook the whole truck. I thought I broke something, but thankfully it still works. That makes sense in my head, but if it doesn't to you, let me know so I can clarify more. Don't want anyone to make a possible expensive mistake

I'd like to know what you did for the HEI. I have a four bolt cover OD to replace my stock 3 speed. I have been piecing together the parts I need for install and getting ready to do the swap. Any wiring advice would be extremely helpful.

thanks in advance.