View Single Post
Old 04-01-2019, 11:18 AM   #473
Purcell69

Re: 57 GMC, frame swap, 4wd, 454 big block, 4 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old57 View Post
Yes, I shortened the seat brackets 2" when I was building the truck, but now that I'm driving it, that 2" up would put my leg and foot in a much better position. I hear ya about that transmission in the Blazer... after looking at it, I didn't want to even try taking it out
It really is tricky finding good seats for these trucks. Sure the original bench seat worked when the average man was 5'6 and 150#. It wasn't super comfortable, but it got the job done.

Fitting a modern bucket or bench in these cabs takes a bit of worth since the cab is only so deep. I had tried putting some power buckets from a '99-'04 Silverado in mine but found they didn't go back far enough to be comfortable, even with the six-way power bases. Raising them helped a little, as did laying them back, but the seat was against the back wall of the cab and the position felt awkward. In the end, I went back to Jeep Cherokee seats, which feel much more comfortable, even without power bases on them.

In the long run, I have some Grand Cherokee buckets that are very similar to the XJ Cherokee seats I am using. I just need to add the power bases to raise and lower as needed for comfort.

It sure is good to see your truck being used and enjoyed. You've made great progress.

-Joe