View Single Post
Old 04-02-2019, 10:37 PM   #610
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: "Crewcab Jake" the 84 to 74 conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlySezHey View Post
So, obviously, I just found this thread, I'll be getting my own '77 CCLB C20 the end of April, and I'm really grateful to have found this thread AND highly impressed by it's content - thank you SO MUCH for sharing! So much instructional info and vendor/parts recommendations! I'll be using Tamco paints as a result of your testimonial I'll have to get through your other builds to see what I can gleam from them

1. Thank God for a place like this for us to disguise "notes to self" as educational threads/blogs to the masses
You would've surprised how often I go back through my threads. I also keep my build pics organized in folders
2. Although I like the Cheyenne strip better on yer tailgate, I prefer the newer style side mirrors IMO, but I saw you opted for the '69-'72 mirrors, definitely the best choice (again, IMO)I'm still undecided on the tailgate band. I'll wait till I get moulding and bumpers in place before I take my final choice
3. Regarding the rusted rocker; "The exposed insides will be blasted, and neutralized." What do you mean by neutralized? Using a rust converter of some type? We cut out the rusted metal and used Rust Mort to nuetrilize the rust. We coated it with a sealer, then welded in a metal patch panel
4. Are the new rockers getting welded or glued in?We didn't find it necessary to replace the rocker panel. A small patch was all that was required
5. What did you use to clean the Silverado tailgate band? That looks great! I used Adam's Metal polish. In reality it was in mint condition. All I did was give it a good cleaning
6. I'm impressed how well those rubber hoses cleaned up (oil cooling lines, gas filler tube) I never would have thought that could be done! I use Scotch Brite and brake cleaner. It's a miracle worker
7. What kind of chrome cleaner do you use? Turtle wax chrome cleaner seems to work pretty good to me. Good old Turtle Wax

I appreciate it if you have the time to answer my questions, other than that, keep on building the dream - it's at least as much encouragement for us as we might be for you
Thanks so much for following along

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote