View Single Post
Old 04-03-2019, 07:41 PM   #1
EricU

Need suggestions on purchasing an old Burb and what I should be looking out for.

Hello All, my name is Eric and I am a car addict- I don't know when to just stop.

I am currently on the hunt for a 2wd 60-66 Suburban for my next project. I am looking for an as clean as possible, non-rust bucket example to start with. I want the look of the hood from the chevy 60/61 trucks and have been told that I can install that hood on a 63-66 (hopefully that is correct).

I am still not sure which windshield design that I prefer or if I care.

I don’t care what engine/tranny it has or even if it has one as I have a newly rebuilt torque monster Cadillac 472/TH400 with a SWP convertor sitting on a pallet in my garage taking up space and the motor has to go into something! I would just sell the engine/tranny but I like the valve covers too much.

The plans are of course for the truck to bag it and lay frame, so either a complete new chassis or a front and rear suspension hack off/weld on (Porter Built, Choppin Block, late model Chevy, etc etc etc).

But what I don’t want is a major rust bucket as my projects just take too long to begin with (my current 65 Cadillac Convertible which I gave myself 6 weekends is now over three years old!!!!)

I can wrench (got most tools), paint (kind of), weld (poorly), do have access to a lift (kind of, involves begging and beer) and don’t mind taking my time on this project.

* My question to you 60-66 Suburban experts is when I go look at some to buy, what areas should I be concerned with? What trim pieces are readily available or made out of unobtainium? (some of the stupid little things on that “clean” Cadillac…).

I need and welcome any and all of your input.

Thanks for any help, comments or cheeseburgers….

I included some photos of my engine that is lonely because I don't yet have a Suburban.

Some things about me;
I have a dog - that's him in the last photo and not me
Attached Images

Last edited by EricU; 04-03-2019 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Old Fat Bald...
EricU is offline   Reply With Quote