View Single Post
Old 04-05-2019, 07:09 PM   #1
elks

Diagram for 72 front Dana 44

Guys I am attempting to setup a new ring and pinon on my 72 blazer. The problem is the previous owner did things different than what I have seen, So with that being said I need a little help... I am extremely confused and frustrated now...

I under stand all the theory, but need to get started. When I pulled the old pinon, there were not any shims behind the bearing cup. I was told that typical bearing shim on the larger pinon bearing cup is typically .042. Does this sound right? Or am I getting confused with a different 44 set up?

Secondly, on the old pinon there was a tin piece pressed between the larger pinon bearing and the pinon gear. No shims here either just a tin piece with a little offset for the bearing clearance. I can not find anything that matched this in my new install kit, nor can I find any diagrams. Any idea if this is needed? Is it possible that the PO used this as the shim depth?

Lastly is there a good picture based rebuild for the 44 front here? Or a very good diagram that would show me the pinon and carrier in detail? I just need to get this set up asap.

Thanks all...