View Single Post
Old 04-12-2019, 10:00 PM   #1724
oldman3

Re: My 50 roadster pickup build

Well, guys and gals, I'm back again with some changes. Since we've put the truck back together, I've been driving it alot in April, and I've noticed little things that needed attention. One main concern was how it was riding in the rear, just ruff, etc. The last time I had NSRA check my truck, they said there was play in the Vibration damper u joint. So I bought new U joint and shaft to replace. Also at around 65 to 70 on my highway is a quick up/down hill (dip) in a couple spots, and I was hearing this grinding noise, when it made the transition. Needed to be checked out. I decided that it was time to replace my rear shocks. I wanted to again install QA1 adjustable shocks (pricey but they are nice). After talking with tech we finally found a short enough shock to work. All my parts came in this week and today, Mark said he would start on the truck. Mark had most of the work done, by the time I got back from the nursing home.

1. The grinding noise was the drive shaft hitting the rivet on the main crossmember. When we installed new motor mounts and trans mounts (earlier last year) they changed the height of driveshaft and put it closer to the crossmember. It was just barely hitting so, Mark cut down one rivets. He also re-routing my E-brake cable so the drive shaft won't hit it.

2. A bolt had come out of the power steering bracket just under the reservoir, so he replaced that.

3. He replace the old steering shaft unit with new stuff (see pics below).

4. He replace the rear shocks. The right rear shock was wore out, it had no resistance, right one still had gas in it (see pics below).

Took it out for a quick drive, and man what a difference. I have leaf springs in the rear and the new shocks made all the difference in the world. Well worth the cost for me. I set the adjustment for a soft compress and rebound, and it feels great. No more grinding in the highway dip, etc.
Mark did find a exhaust leak in my H pipe, will get new gasket and replace.

So for now my spring maintenace in done and I'm happy. Thanks son...Jim

P.S. I cleaned the front good when it was apart. The rear section now, needs to be cleaned (another day).
Attached Images

Last edited by oldman3; 04-13-2019 at 10:12 AM.
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote