View Single Post
Old 04-14-2019, 11:42 AM   #24
Bluerust

Re: 86 K30 Restomod LS swap AKA Blue Rust

Thanks,
I would have posted progress along the way but did not pay any attention to the forum here until the truck was pretty much finished.

I have had the truck on the road for a little while, I haven't really used the vintage air product much but it seems to work.

I'd say if you are going to seal the side floor vents under the dash seal them up before mounting the evaporator under the dash. I used some thin gauge aluminum and worked the aluminum to fit and used micro sheet metal screws and sealant. Some of the stuff they give in the kit I didn't use.

After fitting the condenser I had to trim at some of the core support where it would rub on the refrigerant hard lines. I slit and wrapped some rubber hose around any tubes that have anything close to them. I also accidentally ran a drill bit into the condenser when mounting the other coolers and had to order another one and reinstall. Don't do that either.

If you use the same Kwik LS bracket I did for the compressor it took me some time playing with it to get the erector set properly aligned for belt alignment by adjusting some of the shims or washers around or thickness of the washers. I think Kwik advertised their kit to be engineered and stress analyzed but I still added an additional steel support to the rear of the compressor after it was installed. Theirs might be adequate, but I wouldn't say overkill.

I manually engaged the ac clutch to charge the system. Afterwards I found I wired the trinary switch to the wrong wire colors at first and the ac compressor would not come on when AC selected. Simple mistake.
Bluerust is offline   Reply With Quote