View Single Post
Old 04-16-2019, 10:21 AM   #656
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: "Crewcab Jake" the 84 to 74 conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
I think the tip-over point for me going to an LS based motor is if I find myself thinking about springing for FI (like your situation) and considering spending $1700 +/- on aftermarket heads, then the LS swap becomes pretty compelling.
For me it comes down to dollars and sense (not cents).
Lets "assume" the 454 bottom end is still solid and doesnt need attention. The heads and intake are some of the worst GM ever made for producing power. That means I would need a set of heads, cam, and intake just to get started. Top that with a F/I system and a decent electronic ignition system.
I'm not the type to trust swap meet parts, so that means everything would be new.

Do the math and you can see where a low mileage LS/LT based motor makes more "cents". The cost of purchase and install parts may be 50-60% higher than the mods to the 454, but the base motor already produces more HP/TQ .

As mentioned, time and budget constraints force me to keep the current motor till I find a good deal on a donor. Who knows what may happen if that right deal doesnt fall in my lap.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote