View Single Post
Old 04-25-2019, 07:15 AM   #428
Purcell69

Re: 1957 Chevy 3100, meet 1994 Dodge Ram 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by palerider View Post
Thanks I may try this I sure wish all your photos would show up I can only see a few I did sub to your YouTube channel to learn more. I'm hoping I can leave the motor where its located in the Original frame and just add a elect fan like you did. I have 57 radiator I may try to just leave the dodge in and make it work? Its going be a fun build I would love to put a Chevy LS in the dodge frame at some point if this works out. If not I may go a different route just saw your post and that inspired me. I just bought the dodge for the body parts for my 4wd model the whole truck is rust free and runs great it has a auto trans. My 4wd is a 5 speed model. I like Chevy the best I'm doing a 72 jimmy and a 81 K5 Blazer also. So I got my hands full but I'm like you I like to do my own style and save a $ when I can. Good luck with you build its a one of a kind and my fav build I have seen so far
As I recall, I don't think it was "necessary" to move my engine back. As I recall, there is enough room to keep things in place, but I was concerned that the stock clutch fan would have been extremely close to the radiator. The electric fan was an afterthought. The Magnum V8 is almost identical in size to a small block Chevrolet, not counting front mounted accessories. I will double check my spacing. The electric fan I am using is about 5"-5.5" thick and there is at least another 4"-5" between it and the water pump pulley on the front of the motor.

Also, since you are going with a 5 speed, keeping the engine in place may help with shifter placement. Years ago when I was messing with the stock Chevy frame, I was going to run a small block/T-5 combo and found the T-5 shift would have been about 4 inches into the front of a bench seat. I doubt that will be an issue with the NV trans since the shifter is located in the top tower rather than at the rear of the trans, unlike the T-5.

I've also toyed with the thought of swapping in a 5.7 Hemi at some point in the future and there are cross-over engine mounts to go from a 5.9L to 5.7L Hemi engine. Of course, this would mean a different transmission and more wiring issues, but I think it would be fun, much like an LS swap. In the meanwhile, if you are planning to do anything with the internals of you Magnum engine, get with Marty and Savannah Fletcher at http://utawesomeperformance.com/index.html Marty has a very nice cam upgrade for these motors which maximizes the torque output. This guy has invested his own time and money into dyno testing and have a very stout combination that can get you a daily driver with nearly 500 ft/lb of torque. Had his cam come out before I bought mine, I'd be running his right now. I've talked with him directly on the phone and he's been super helpful.

The whole Photobucket thing continues to haunt me. I wish there were an easy fix, but since I removed all of my pictures from there server, there is no way to restore the links. I had literally thousands of photos hosted there. If there is something you need to see, just let me know and I will either find the original pictures or take new ones to help give you guidance. It is always easier if someone has already done the work before you get to it.

-Joe

Last edited by Purcell69; 04-25-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Purcell69 is offline   Reply With Quote