Thread: TA_C10: Stage 1
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2019, 11:25 AM   #192
TA_C10

Re: TA_C10: Stage 1

Update - PAINT!!

It's on like donkey kong

I have never done body work nor have I ever painted a vehicle before. Shoot the closest thing I have come to painting is with my Wagner Flexio 9_something lol.

I bought a starter set of 2 guns from Eastwood, Devilbliss brand. I also went all out and grabbed their starter setup of the DeKups system and I gotta say I had no idea what this really was but now that I have used it twice it's AWESOME! Disposable and reusable stuff. I can see how much time this saves.

I washed the cab with soap and water last Wednesday, it was raining outside so it was perfect time to wash it. Pulled it in the garage and dried it off with my leaf blower and towels. It sat in the garage like that until Sunday when I finally got around to it which was a mistake. It started surface rusting on me. Really it wasn't too bad but I was paranoid so I sanded almost the whole cab. Then I used some self etch from eastwood for rust inhibitor. Should be good

Then I got to spraying. Epoxy primer 1:1 from summit. Sprayed two coats and realized I didn't wipe off all the self etch. So I had so sand a lot of the epoxy back off again as you could see the runs behind the epoxy.

I should have known better but I got in a little bit of a hurry and this is what everyone tells you NOT to do... So from now on I will plan my time appropriately and go slow.

The picture above is how it sits now, all the bad spots sanded back down and re-coated with another layer of primer. This thing isn't going to be perfect, its going to be my DD. But it should look nice when I get done. Next steps are seam sealer, 2k primer, body filler, chit load of sanding, then finally some color.

"It's only money".
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote