View Single Post
Old 05-11-2019, 05:00 PM   #21
Big John Sny

Re: Steering Wheel is a half turn off after disc brake conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay68c10 View Post
I think the center link is the same, but it’s worth checking the part numbers to see if the idler arm is different.
Have you centered the steering box yet? Do this with the pitman arm off. And don’t worry if the wheel isn’t centered, you can r&r it to remedy that.

1.Center the box with the pitman arm off.
2.Check that the steering wheel is level. If it’s not, pull it off and level it.
3.Put the pitman arm back on
4.Now check for parallel on pitman and idler
I’ve been thru this before, it will diagnose what isn’t correct.

Seems like 5 degrees shouldn’t equal the lock to lock difference that you are seeing.
Ok, I centered the steering box. The steering wheel is straight. The pit man arm will not go back on unless I turn the steering wheel a half turn (about two splines on the pitman arm) I took a picture with the steering box centered and the pitman arm on. The wheels are turned lightly to the left.
the pitman arm looks parallel with the frame but the idler arm is turned slightly in. About half the ball joint is under the frame. I have a pic of this as well. also took a pic of the idler bolted to the frame.

not sure how the pitman arm could be parallel with the frame and the idler arm not be. The frame width is the same in the 85 and the 68.

It doesn't take much off on the angles to add up to a lot.
Attached Images

Big John Sny is offline   Reply With Quote