View Single Post
Old 05-14-2019, 09:14 AM   #20
KMC3420

Re: Mig welding wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by trukman1 View Post
Can the Infel wire be used on Miller 170/220V machine or is it only used on 120V welders? I've heard I should be using a 120V welder but the 220V has a higher duty cycle rating, Obviously I'm not an experienced welder. Just keep hearing from body shop guys I should have a 120V unit. Want to be sure before buying more wire, Thanks. Not trying to hijack this thread but others may have info to help more than just me especially if they are looking to purchase a unit. Biggest drawback I've found so far with 220 unit is having to have a HD extension cord and 230V outlet.120 is far more versatile for use anywhere. Thanks again.
I am using a millermatic 211 which is a 110/220 machine, it has a dual plug. I always run it on 220 even when doing sheet metal as you dial it in on a test piece of metal the same thickness. Sheet metal being as thin as it is, you can use 110 as well with no worries of lack of penetration. The duty cycle isn’t too relevant on sheet metal as you aren’t running a continuous weld. You are on the trigger for half a second and moving around the sheet metal. When welding 1/4” metal that’s when duty cycle comes into play as your on the trigger for longer periods of time. Regarding the inefil wire or any wire it wouldn’t be voltage specific but for sheet metal you want 023 wire which is the thinnest wire. But for thicker metal you would want 035 wire as it fills faster.