Thread: TA_C10: Stage 1
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2019, 11:04 PM   #202
TA_C10

Re: TA_C10: Stage 1

Update - Seam Sealer

Finished the firewall. Got all the holes filled and everything painted back up. Re-patched the undercoating in the trans tunnel. Moved on to seam sealer today. I used eastwood high solids seam sealer inside the cab and their self leveling seam sealer in the drip rail.

The high solids is really easy to use. I got the caulk gun stuff. I basically taped off all the seams and welds that I wanted to seal, put on rubber gloves, sprayed some paint-pre prep on the gloves and started smearing the sealer between the tape. That's really all there is to it.

Now the self leveling seam sealer is another story. Mind you this is the first time I ever used this stuff, but it is really messy. I had trouble with it. I started on one side and simply walked to the other side of the truck spreading the stuff without stopping. In the horizontal drip rail it was really easy and did exactly what it was supposed to do. No prob there. The vertical rails were another story. Some guys on here said they used the self leveling and went halfway down and stopped and it barely made it to the bottom of rail. Well I dammed off the bottom with tape and I went 3/4 of the way and it overflowed the vertical rail dam and went everywhere.... Then I noticed it stayed to one side of the vertical rail and didn't fill the whole thing so I had to shoot more in there to make sure everything was covered... But. It worked out ok in the end. I pulled the dams and cut out the overflow excess and sanded it up a little and it looks pretty decent.

I plan to spray the rest of my lizard skin ceramic coating on the floor of cab(the places where the dynomat got cut out, the firewall area under dash, and the rear cab wall and down in the cab corners.

Here it is sanded down at bottom of drip rail.

"It's only money".

Last edited by TA_C10; 05-19-2019 at 12:33 AM.
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote