Thread: P0446 mil
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2019, 08:05 PM   #24
shifty
Questionable

Re: P0446 mil

Problem solved.

Good thing the AC Delco pump came with a pressure sensor. I'd picked up a pressure sensor off fleabay, was apparently bad, reading pressure while the truck was off, before digging into the pump replacement, I figured I'd swap it in to confirm my evap CEL was tied to that and proved it was.

After two trips to the store to buy three different quick connect tools that wouldn't fit in the tight space of the feed/return lines, the pump and sensor are installed with new 4-pin harness (ACDelco's heat shrink butt splices suck ass).

Pump and sensor work great, no more buzzing from the pump, Tech2 evap shop test passed with flying colors thanks to the new genuine sensor, things function as you'd expect on purge/seal which it wouldn't before (video).

Still have a little bit of a stumble at idle, but I seriously expect that has something to do with the stock fuel spider more than anything.

hatzie, you were a great help with this whole situation, thanks so much for lending your knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzie View Post
It's 8 or 10 bolts, a ground strap or two, and unplugging the tail lamps.
Glad I took your advice here too. I have always been told to drop the tank. Taking the bed off wasn't exactly a walk in the park, but it finally gave me a chance to clean and wax the bed-cab gap while I was at it and clean up the frame a bit.

For the record, exact count on fasteners for a '98 extended cab with 6.5' bed is:
  • 8 bed bolts
  • 2 bolts and a plastic clip for the filler surround
  • 3 hex head screws to pop off filler cover
  • 4 screws to pop out the two lights
  • 1 ground strap near the filler neck
  • Tailgate
  • All the plastic clips holding the rear lighting looms in place.

Came off no problem, standard ratchet, no breaker bar, what you'd expect for a truck that lived in GA its whole life. Want to keep it that way so took your advice of plopping some anti-seize on the 8 main bed bolts too.

So, I guess this is case closed. 6 hours work total with all the extra stuff piled on and 90 minutes of trips to the store to inevitably cut off the return/fill nipples on the old pump to gain access to use the tools I already had. Meh.

Should be able to pass emissions next month, no problem!
Attached Images

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote