Thread: Wife's 48
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2019, 05:45 PM   #216
8man

Re: Wife's 48

Tentatively back in the shop. Still hobbling, but I get to go out and "not do too much."

So today I tackled door latches on the 48. Got the latches from Chevs of the 40's, they are made by Trique.

I got the riders door done first and then the drivers. I read on here that if I do the riders door first and make a mistake I won't have to look at it every time I get in the truck.
IMG_0065 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr
IMG_0068 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

In the second picture you can see the keyed door lock. That was difficult as the instructions were NOT clear. However, after more time than I care to admit I finally got it installed. Very pleased with the doors.

Then I went to put on the latch plates. They were not formed correctly.
IMG_0062 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr
If you look closely, the plate is turned around backwards and it is flush with the cab steel. It appears to have been bent about 1/4" too close to the bolts. I tried and just could not get it to line up enough to bolt up, so I called Chevs. Great people, they had Trique on the phone once I explained the problem. Trique then let me explain what was wrong, I sent them a few pictures and they put a new set of plates in the mail today. So I'm happy with the outcome and think they are both good people to do business with.

While I was working on the latch on the drivers door, I noticed this
IMG_0066 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr
There is supposed to be one of these there
IMG_0067 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

Since I'm thinking about doing a more original door panel on the 48, having the nut in the door would help. I have a junk door that I cut one of the nuts out and the only thing I can figure is to cut a hole in the door and weld it in. Any other suggestions?

Next question is about the plate that is on the outside of the door. I've seen some weld in latches, but looking at this I think it could be welded in. I'm giving that some thought. Anyone done the bolt on and then welded it on?
Build thread: "]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=746899&highlight=wife%27s+48[/URL]
[/URL]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=840204
8man is offline   Reply With Quote