View Single Post
Old 05-26-2019, 12:48 PM   #12
FunKing85

Re: 1979 C20 Quad Cab

Motor and trans came out without a hitch, having the front clip off made it a breeze, I did it all by myself in about two hours, found a motor crane for 60 bucks via LetGo. Cool stuff. Heres my current plan, (changes with the wind) I initially wanted the stock 454/th400 but after pricing out a full big block rebuild, LS motors are looking a lot more attractive. I have never done a swap, I almost loathe how stereotypical it is, but theres a reason its all the rage. Im leaning towards an LQ4 or an LQ9. I am after smooth operating reliable highway cruising, keeping in mind I'll be towing a pretty significant amount of weight. LS1tech has been my bible as of late, as well as a few chevelle/camaro forums. Heres where I think I'll lose a few of you. I think I'm going with the ol organized fuel leak called a carb. It is significantly cheaper, way more my style. I kinda like the blend of new motor with old school bits, staying true to the OE but getting what I want as well. Edelbrock and Holley have enough options to cover anything carbureted, MSD 6014 for the spark, dirty dingo mounts, trans control may not be an issue if I use my th400, but perhaps upgrading that is in the cards as well. I would love to hear some opinions and feedback, not to many shops or friends around here to brainstorm with! Tell me what I forgot!