Thread: LS swap advice
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2019, 09:20 PM   #1
cfan10

Cool LS swap advice

OK, here is my idea, I get lost thinking about what engine decision to make. I am really wanting to test the ls waters, I have a '91 suburban with a rebuilt 350 tbi in '14 that was never really driven much, as I didn't really at the time or money to play with it. It needed attention to the wiring and a new distributor and other issues, rust free everything worked when I bought it.

My mom is still going to sponsor an engine for the c10 so I think this is most cost effective, I was considering a Jegs sbc.
She wanted to buy me a new truck after graduation but the prices are really out there even for a base model.

The c10 has a 350 4bolt/th350 I want to swap the tbi engine minus the tbi junk to the c10...and ls swap the suburban which I enjoy driving more than the truck for some reason. And if I understand correctly, I'll just have to swap in a walbro 255 and a fuel pressure regulator in the stock tank. Planing to use the stock ls harness, thinking the most expensive thing will be the exhaust system I do not want the sound of headers, I read that stock exhaust manifolds aren't really compatible.
I know on the tbi block I'll have to buy the intake to use the 1406 carb, and I have a fairly new HEI distributor, Mr. Gasket electric fuel pump. I would like to keep the v belt setup since most of the accessories are fairly new, but the suburban has AC that works great, so I may have to swap the pulleys.
Is the water pump from the 350 the same rotation as the tbi block.

'91 Suburban 350 tbi/700r4
'84 C10 350/350

My plans:

4.8/5.3/6.0/6.2 whichever I find in the best condition I am really leaning towards a 4.8 as they aren't as sought after as the others and are more plentiful.
It will be matched up to the 700r4, which should I do dbw or dbc, simple is my goal.
I do plan to do a gasket kit and seals on both engines.
The exhaust manifolds on the suburban are cracked will the sbc exhaust manifolds bolt right up.
New motor mounts with ls adapter plates I would like to have AC as well.

I have seen head bolt adapters to convert a sbc intake to a tbi block anyone have any experience with them.

As always your time and advice is greatly appreciated. Anything I've overlooked please share that with me.
Rest In Peace:Mikhail {Mickey Rooney} Alpha 2/5/13 Omega 7/22/14 10:28AM I love you tremendously and outragiously Superpuppi Thai Ridgeback...The most intelligent dog known to me.
Don't mess with my truck, my momma or my money...not necessarily in that order. ©
Stand for something or fall for anything.
[LIST][*]'98 Bourbon St. Brawl ©2010
cfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote