Thread: 47-55.1 Coolant leak?
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2019, 12:55 AM   #10
mr48chev

Re: Coolant leak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhotrod View Post
The whole idea of a puke tank is to allow the coolant in the radiator when it heats and expands to flow into the puke tank. When the system cools the coolant then flows back into the radiator keeping air out of the radiator, which is an enemy to good cooling. Now when you fill the radiator full, and it heats it could very well put enough coolant into your puke tank to make it "leak" or overflow. Now do not panick, and put more coolant into the system. It is just finding its level, when it achieves a proper level it will stop puking onto your floor. your cap is doing its job, maintaining pressure and letting coolant out into the overflow tank. I hope this helps.
Jim Worrell
He said pretty much word for word what I would havei.

You are still overfilling the radiator if it is a stock type tank on top vertical tube radiator. YOU need a couple of inches at least for expansion in the tank. Empty the puke tank and drop the coolant level in he radiator down to around an inch above the tubes and you should be good. This setup isn't like the later models where the tank starts out filled to a certain level. The puke can will catch the overflow and let it be drawn back into the radiator if you have the right cap but it is not a reservoir that holds a certain level of fluid from the get go.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote