View Single Post
Old 06-04-2019, 08:19 AM   #28
special-K
Special Order

Re: Any benefit to non-ethanol gas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkota View Post
It is my understanding that "Ethanol" is used because it is a less expensive way to increase Octane in fuel, which keeps the cost down to the consumer.

You may want to check any local Marinas near you, they often sell Non-Ethanol fuel.
Marinas, a station just into PA, and the one in VA that sell actual gasoline are all 40-50 miles away. Just not feasible unless I'm in the area. Then, what's point when I'm still running Ethanol 98% of the time? If it was feasible I would only run actual gasoline.

I'm pretty careful, but not a lot of effort put into all this. I run Startron in my mower gas. My gas cans are galvanized metal and they are fine. I mix when filling up. My mower sits all winter with fuel in it and it's 5 or more years old. So far so good.

My '72 sits with whatever fuel it had since last drive for the winter. I try to fill it up to sit, but usually doesn't work out that way. I dump the Startron in on top of fuel and hope it mixes. It gets started and run periodically through the winter. So far so good.

I had a '71 C/30 wrecker that sat un-started for a year and a half and had problems due to ethanol. I always say you are better off trying to start an old vehicle that has sat since before the use of ethanol with old reeking gas than with untreated ethanol 6 months old. The extenders only help so much and for so long. You can double the dose to get maybe double the time. But they say that's about the limit... no point in using any more or expecting any longer before fuel "spoils".

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote