View Single Post
Old 06-11-2019, 02:36 PM   #37
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: Any benefit to non-ethanol gas?

As mentioned it takes more ethanol to make the same amount of energy as non-ethanol fuel. I was told this many, many years ago and it seems to hold true. 10% ethanol will be a drop in MPG of 10%, back when it was 5% it was a 5% drop. I have only run across the 15% once or twice and the rule seems to hold true on that. I doubt E85 follows that rule. I try and run non-ethanol in my trucks, but when I am out of town they get what I find. Every time I put in the E10, I loose about 2 mpg. After running a couple tanks on non-ethanol I see my highway MPG back up to 18, on e10 its 16ish. I am not sure that the damage to rubber parts and all are as bad on the newer stuff as they changed the materials, but on my 60s-90s stuff it does seem to tear up carb gaskets, hoses and corrode the aluminum parts bad. Since it is so humid down here already, I don't need any help with moisture build up in the tank. My wife uses the E10 all the time in her 2011 Honda with no issues, other that the MPG difference.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote