View Single Post
Old 06-12-2019, 10:09 PM   #7
sntrym95

Re: 99 OBS crew cab short bed and need advice on replacing the cracked dash

I had to swap the dash on my 95 Yukon (twice). It came from Texas like shifty's - with big square hole in it because some genius wanted a double DIN radio.

The dash is held in place by 4 nuts and 3 screws. It's easy to get out if you either a. remove the driver's seat or b. remove the steering wheel. I vote driver's seat since it's 4 bolts and a wiring harness (assuming power seat).

The 4 nuts that need to come off are 2 on the outside by the under dash lights and two on the steering column. Make sure you put the crossbar support back in after you remove it, otherwise you'll crack the dash. Ask me how I know.

Obviously the bezel, gauge cluster, radio, and HVAC controls have to come out, as well as the glove box. Once you have all that out, remove the nuts and 3 screws near the vents and the dash should tilt forward. The wiring harness is encased in a plastic conduit and it comes out somewhat easily.

The key is to get the dash to tilt all the way so it pops off the plastic bushings. Installation is the reverse of removal, and while you have it off clean the air ducts, they are dusty.