View Single Post
Old 06-18-2019, 02:47 AM   #4
Mike_The_Grad

Re: My version of coated header(s)

Blue666(2)
I have a digital Multimeter that came with a temperature probe and has a range of -40°F to 752°F.
The plywood I am using is kinda old so it had nails in it, when I pulled out the nails it left a perfect sized hole that I could insert the probe into. There's a hole about 4" up from the bottom, another about half way up the side another about 4" from the top, plus one directly on the top a little left of center.

On this header I have pictured I was able to get the temperature to 250° pretty quickly and keep it rather consistent for the 30 minute heat cycle. Instead of reaching in to turn of the control on the burner I just closed the propane tank to let the oven cool for 30 minutes. Then I just opened the valve and used my set of mechanical fingers which are about 30" long to hold a small piece of paper towel about 1" square. I soaked it with WD40 and lit it to insert into the burner ring. I was only able to reach about 375° for the second heat cycle. I honestly doubt 25° is gonna make that much of a difference. I just let it go a little over 30 minutes. I also tried to cover up any areas where I felt heat escaping to try and help retain the heat better without using so much fuel. I doubt I will reach the 600° mark, but I figure some type of curing is better than none, and Itll probably cure itself while on the engine within the first few heat cycles.
This is gonna be a fresh built engine so the break in will get them plenty hot. Which is why I'm gonna wrap them for the break in.
I know theres opinions on wrapping headers. I told my dad. He dont care. So that's what I'm gonna do. Lol.

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote