View Single Post
Old 06-28-2019, 02:20 PM   #18
rpmerf

Re: EGR valve testing

Always fun dealing with the MVA. Here we have tag and title shops. They are like a middle man for the MVA. You pay them like $20, but they are much more knowledgeable and will work with you, because they want your business. When historic tags changed from 25 years to 20, I went down and got historic tags for my car that just turned 20. They were telling me they would get in arguments with the people at the MVA and cite the law directly, because the people at the MVA weren't aware.

I get so tired of hearing one thing form one person and another thing from another. Seems almost commonplace. Part of the reason "I want to talk to a manger" has become so common.

For getting off the line you want to focus on a couple things. Rear ratio has a huge effect. Torque converter can have a huge effect. If that grabs too low and isn't matched to your cam, it can really kill power off the line until you get into the power band. Like having a stick and always trying to launch at 1600 RPM.

As for your carb, focus on primaries. Lars gets into it a bit in the tuning document. Secondaries aren't going to kick in until you are higher up in RPM. Launching is all about the primary jets. When you up your primary jets, you need to up your primary rods to keep the same cruise area. When you are changing both of these, you might want to change your APT to set your fuel usage in the area between when the power piston is seated and when it starts to open. Once the power piston is all the way up, you will be at full enrichment, which is where you want WOT level enrichment. I think I mentioned this in a previous post. A weaker power piston will enrich earlier, but can have you at full enrichment pretty early. A weaker spring will delay that a bit and might work better for cruise. Since you have a 79 carb (I assume), APT should be easy for you to tune.

Another thought is the accelerator pump. If you go WOT from a stop, it should spring to life, no lag or bogging. Accelerator pump is used for throttle changes to throw some fuel in before the manifold vacuum / carb can respond to the throttle change.

I made a post a while back that has an HTML file that you can use for changing jets and rods. You type in your current jet / rod combo and it will show the percentage change for different jets / rods at WOT and cruise.

Sorry if i'm rambling a bit much. I've been doing a lot of research into this.
1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z
rpmerf is offline   Reply With Quote