Thread: 292 Questions
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2019, 06:56 PM   #78
May70

Re: 292 Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
If I am not mistaken, the vacuum advance moves the breaker plate so that the dwell changes some on the 292. You'd want to be certain that the vacuum advance is not connected when setting the point gap. Are you on the 6 cylinder setting of the dwell meter? Can you wiggle the distributor shaft from side to side by an appreciable amount? The bushings could be worn. This usually shows up as dwell wandering around while the engine is running.
I made sure to cut off the vacuum. I have this plastic crimper tool for vacuum fuel lines and i just crimped that on there.

The carb vac port was reading about 22 in Hg on my gauge at idle. After all that I tried driving it in the back and thats when I couldnt get it past about 5, fiddled with adjustments a little bit but with no avail.

I tried backing out the idle screw till i saw a vac drop previously as recommended. However the vac reading didn't drop and that was with the screw backed out until I have the screw hanging on by a thread. Basically what I did from that point is screw it in a quarter turn, then get in the truck and see if studders from a little gas, eventually I got it decent. Vacuum was reading between 22-23 the whole process. Idles good, but once you start trying to get her up to speed it wants to do what I explained before.

//

I will drop that dwell a bit more based on that point Richard. Thanks

//

The distributor shaft seemed good. Not much wiggle at all, like very little if any. I can upload some pics here also, I thought the high points looked fine, but they weren't sharp points.
Attached Images

May70 is offline   Reply With Quote