View Single Post
Old 07-06-2019, 03:50 PM   #17
WorkinLonghorn

Re: 1967 GMC V6 - 351E on a Camper Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sage View Post
The diesel mechanic said the fairly slight gouge would fill in with carbon as it's above the rings. I think I need another truck that will give me decent milage. Parts ARE hard to find for the 351E to begin with.

I changed out the transaxle ten years ago to a higher ration and before taking off and traveling. Don't know the numbers off hand.

I'm going to get new gaskets and just put it all back toghether and see if mayber I want to use it for a water hauling truck as i live in the desert and could put a 300 gallon tank on it and then just leave it parked while I use up the water.
That would be so cool to have your own water truck. I've always thought about doing that if I relocate to Arizona.

I hope I didn't discourage you with the dismal mileage figures. If you take off the camper you will get substantially better MPG for sure. I really like those big v6 engines and especially the 351 (which is pretty rare I think). Anyway I doubt that you will be putting so many miles on it that it would be cost-effective to go out and buy a newer truck with it's own set of problems. I would fix it up and use it and be really happy about driving such a cool truck. JMHO, Brian
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote