View Single Post
Old 07-08-2019, 04:42 PM   #16
SCOTI

Re: 5"/6" lowered, Tyre size ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibdob62 View Post
3" lowered spindles, 1" lowering springs. Going to put new bump stops back on to stop it hitting the wheel tub for now until I can source some reasonably priced tyres but still not sure about what size to go for, don't want to go to small so most lightly go for the 255/60/15.
My wheel choices are typically staggered (7's in front; 8's in back). I had a similar problem when using 3" spindles w/the stock cut coils up front on my 74 so I went w/a 215/70-15 because I was running a narrower Van Ralley (6.5"). The 215/70 = 26.85" (very close to the 245/45-18's) & didn't cause issues. I used the same size tire on my 90swb for the same reason. If you're sticking w/the 275/60 rears & still utilizing the 8's on the front as well, the 255/60 will allow more travel room before contact is made while keeping the tire/wheel proportions similar.

I tried no bump-stops (crazy bad w/o anything) & then trimmed-stops (much better but would still buzz more than I liked) so I went back to unmodified stops. Mine only buzzed @ the top of the inner well so I knew I needed to limit travel if I wanted to run a decent height tire. Some guys will opt for a shorter tire but I don't like the way it looks (well... I can't stand it is more appropriate). The ride was rougher because it was on the stops more but I preferred that over the buzzing/contact @ the wheel-well.

If I do one now for someone, I'll explain my past experience & highly recommend purchasing an aftermarket/new replacement spring w/a KNOWN spring-rate. A "drop spring" isn't good enough. You need to know the spring-rate.

If you utilize a higher rate spring that has the desired 1" drop along w/a properly valved shock, you're much more likely to have a better drive quality & it will help keep it off the bump-stops. Modified (taller) inner fender-wells are worth considering as well. My trucks were budget builds so I went w/the combos I did because of my budget @ that point in time. These days, I wait & get the right spring for the best ride @ the new lowered ride height.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote