View Single Post
Old 07-12-2019, 08:59 AM   #1041
dug224

Re: Dug's 1959 Fleetside

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgunlock View Post
Sounds like success. Hard to tell from the picture, but how much air gap do you figure you have between the shield and the cab floor?
The front bracket is 1" tall so I have a 1" air gap up front. To clear the rear flange at the muffler, I made the rear one 2" tall so my air gap goes from 1" to 2". Took another road trip to test again measuring temps inside of the cab on passenger side. Anywhere the floor was protected by the shield, the floor temp was 110 F. Ambient yesterday was about 95 F. In a small area (say 10' x 10") of the floor behind the vertical exhaust pipe (O2 sensor) that is not shielded, the floor was 125 F. The rattle ended up being pretty bad throughout most all engine speeds. Basically, the top of the shield was like a drum. To correct, I bent up a small 1/2" x 2" x 1/2" x 48" "C-channel" using the same flashing material. I then ran it the entire length with the shield through my brackets with the "C" facing down. Sorry, no photo. Between the shield and the "C" channel, I installed a 2" layer of exhaust pipe wrap (because I had it available) and riveted it all together. All quiet now...
dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote