View Single Post
Old 06-05-2004, 01:57 PM   #1
arveetek
Ultimate Diesel Dude

Talking Getting ready to turbo my 6.2L!

As some of you may know, I've been assembling a turbo system for my '81 diesel for quite a while now.

It all began in the fall of 2001, when I aquired a used Garret turbocharger from an individual. This turbo had been used on a 6.9L/7.3L Ford diesel, probably from an aftermarket ATS kit.

Since then, I have been slowly getting all the rest of the bits and pieces I've needed. There's a lot of parts needed to install a turbo! I bought a new Banks (www.bankspower.com, specializing in diesel performance) turbo exhaust manifold, machined an adapter to bolt the turbo to the manifold, bought a new round air filter assy. off ebay, a new Banks crossover pipe, fabbed up an oil return system, purchased a new steel-braided oil feed line and Autometer boost guage from Summit racing, machined a 3" exhaust outlet for the turbo, bought 3" pipe to make a downpipe, purchased a like new high-performance diesel 4" muffler, and bought a new 4" chrome tip off ebay.

Last night I brought home one of the last big purchases: all the rest of the 4" exhaust system. I got a 3" to 4" adapter, a section of 4" pipe, and enough mandrel-bent elbows to go over the axle. I was giddy! I found a local supply store that handles exhaust systems for big trucks, and they have all kinds of exhaust system components in 3" and up. I was able to walk the aisles and just pick out all the pieces I needed!

The cost for the entire 4" exhaust system, including muffler and downpipe, comes in around $200. Not too bad, considering a new system for a Duramax or other new diesel truck costs around $400 to $600!

The very last piece I'm working on is the pressure chamber, the part that replaces the air cleaner and fits over the top of the intake manifold. I was going to have one made out of some aluminum tread plate I have, but it was going to cost too much. I now have the machine shop working on making me one out of some aluminum pipe. Haven't got the price on that one yet.

I plan to start assembly next Saturday. It's taken me 3 years to get this all together, but I've definitely saved a lot of money. Instead of $2000 for a Banks Sidewinder turbo and $400 for an exhaust system, I estimate I'll have around $500 to $600 invested in the whole setup.

I can't wait to get started!

I know most of you aren't into diesels like me, but I still wanted to share my project with my board buddies!

Casey