Thread: 55.2-59 Power Steering and AC lines
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2019, 04:50 PM   #2
e015475

Re: Power Steering and AC lines

Well, I'm not sure if it is cheapest or best, but here's what I did

I converted all the fittings on the hydroboost, the rack and the pump to 3/8" AN/JIC. I did this because if I ever have a hose fail, I can get another one at at an industrial hose store.

I took an old piece of hose and routed it to all the ports to get an idea of how much hose - both high and low pressure- that I was going to need. I had them cut each hose a few inches longer than I needed it.

I bought all the fittings I needed and the hose at my local industrial hydraulic hose and took them home and dry-fitted the system. I marked each hose with tape where I wanted it cut after I'd fitted it to the truck. I threw the marked hoses and fittings in a box and took them to the hydraulic hose store to be crimped.

I had a couple of hoses where I would need a hose fitting that was more that 90 degrees, so I made up these adapters. Hose fittings more than 90 degrees are hideously expensive and hard to find.

All the hoses, fittings and the crimps for the hydroboost and power steering were about $100

If you decide to go this way, here's a few tips-

- Buy all your fittings in steel and they're just a fraction of the price of the fancy Earls or Russell anodized aluminum fittings

- Use JIC fittings instead of AN fittings. JIC is interchangable with AN and a lot cheaper.

- Use the correct spec hose for low and high pressure hose. The higher the pressure capability of the hose, the less bend radius it has and the harder it is to work with. Tell the guy at the hydraulic store your pressures/fluid and he'll sell you the right hose.

- Make your hoses so they have one end with a straight fitting. Avoid hoses that have to have the fittings 'clocked' correctly to fit.

- Prices at hydraulic hose shops vary widely. Fittings that cost me $10 at the local shop that all the farmers and industrial equipment guys use will cost me $80 at the 'Parker Store'

- Your hydroboost doesn't care if it is rotated 180 degrees. It will run fine upside down if that will help any with your plumbing. Mine is down on the frame rail and turning it upside down helped with hose routing. Here's a photo- the hydroboost is where the two 90 degree fittings are
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote