View Single Post
Old 07-21-2019, 08:30 PM   #13
jeffahart

Re: Vacuum reservoir - want to repair but don't understand it

Did a quick fix on the reservoir. So I figured I would wrap up the thread with my fix. Took a couple hours to fix because I had to solder some of the seams around the lid and bottom as well as the patch. But it's a pretty quick fix up. Here's some info on the fix.

I am going to install with an inline check valve. Right now I;m running the round aftermarket reservoir, it has no check valve. There has been no ill effect. I run my AC and the way it is setup my heater control valve stays shut, it is a vacuum close. I fixed my AC this spring and it blows mid to upper 30s on 100+ days now. My recirculating vent stays open also. I think if my heater valve was opening and closing I'd be suffering in the cooling temp.

But, as soon as I shut the engine off, the vent closes. So that means my heater valve is opening also.

I did a test with the check valve inline with the after market reservoir. The vent holds open when engine is shutoff using the check valve. For how long, not sure. I will keep an eye on it and see.

I used a piece of copper sheet for the patch. I had some stainless too, but decided on copper with brass nipples.

A note on the fix. I broke the seams around the rim, I think when putting pressure on the top when I drilled it out. The bottom of the can had a seam leak too.

I soldered the brass nipples and leaking seams. It holds vacuum.

j

Name:  20190721_132102.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  39.9 KB