Thread: 55.2-59 Power Steering and AC lines
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2019, 09:09 PM   #6
e015475

Re: Power Steering and AC lines

"How did you make those adapters ?"

They are made out of scraps of 304 stainless tube and JIC parts from a local hydraulic repair shop. The tubes were flared with a 37 degree flaring tool and the radius was put in with an inexpensive tube bender

Fittings that have swivels and/or bends are expensive. I avoid them as much as possible, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

"No idea who does hydraulic/steering/ac line crimping around here ..........
Any idea if this tool can do all 3"

Google is your friend. Search 'Tampa hydraulic hose' and you will find a dozen close by.
You don't want an automotive place, you want a hydraulic hose place (that is what I do anyway)

There's a little bit of technique to getting a crimp on a hose. The hydraulic shop does hundreds of hoses a week and I'd just as soon let them do it for a couple of bucks. They have all the correct dies for the fittings they sell and a hydraulic crimping machine with a 5HP motor.

I'm not saying the crimper you show wouldn't work and i'll be the first to rationalize the purchase of a new tool, but for a couple extra bucks, I'll let the shop do it.

https://www.discounthydraulichose.com/

These guys are great. When I start a project I'll often make a spreadsheet of all the fittings I'll need and order everything I think I'll need. But usually it takes a couple of orders to get everything. IIRC they have a lot of adapter fittings too. Very handy.

I've tried to make sense out of buying assembled hoses from them, but the only way I could make sure it is right would be for them to ship me the components, I'd mark the hoses for the length I need and ship to them, and then they'd crimp them and send it back. All that freight and crimping charges are hard to justify when my local shop will do it for $6/hose while I wait.
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote