View Single Post
Old 07-26-2019, 12:57 PM   #20
FAKKY

Re: Power Steering and AC lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by e015475 View Post
This is what I used to get my Hydroboost plumbed for JIC

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-Mopar-hy...-/231943414367

I have used a lot of Sweet hydraulic stuff over the years and found them to be top shelf

With hydroboost you will now have two returns to the PS reservoir - one from the rack and another from the hydroboost. You'll need to combine those two returns with a -6 JIC tee in your return plumbing or remote a reservoir with two return ports. Apologies if you already knew this

The pump on the LS motors is a Saginaw Type TC and you can get JIC adapters from Jegs or Summit. Note that if you change the pump to plumb in a remote reservoir to accommodate the return from the rack and the hydroboost, the PS pump for car LS engines has a different shaft size than a truck pump and it can be a PITA to get a pulley that will work with your accessory drive.

Don't know what you are using for a steering rack, but if it is GM it is likely a 'Saginaw' fitting with an oring. A quick Google search for adapters for the year and original application for your rack should let you get them to JIC. Buy steel ones, not aluminum
Thanks e015475

Yeah knew about the TEE -- but hadn't thought through yet how I am going to run it. I think the fittings for the RACK (dakota) and the pump (LQ4) and the hydroboost (Chevy astrovan) are all those 18mm-1.5 and 16mm-1.5 fittings.

So think your idea is the best- JIC adapters. Im not 100% if AN will fit JIC - seems like it will as both 37degree flare ..... something about the threads though ...

https://www.air-way.com/news/whats-t...air-way-fit-in

"The most notable difference between these standards are in the threads. AN fittings use an increased root radius thread ("J" thread) and a tighter tolerance (Class 3) to achieve a 40% increase in fatigue strength and 10% increase in shear strength. Material requirements also differ greatly. These two fittings function the same, they look the same, AND the industrial version is much less expensive to manufacturer."

I was told that most auto AN fittings aren't true AN fittings. Really JIC.