View Single Post
Old 08-02-2019, 02:24 PM   #481
Beach-Burban

Re: Working Man's Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
When I have the time I have been plugging away at making some Burban bolts. As everyone knows, (OK not everybody, only the folks who have needed them know) the row of bolts that secure the back edge of the plywood floor are not available, so when Richard 2717 said he bought a hundred of the closest bolt he could find I offered to buy some from him for the WMB. My plan was to turn them down on my lathe, so I needed enough to extra bolts to have some to screw up while I was learning if it was even possible to remachine them into a bolt that would work. Richard2717 being the nice guy he is sent me the whole box and said just to send him a couple sets back. I'm not wanting to bore everyone so I won't go into the details of trying to set up a production line.
But basically it is a two step process to for me to turn them down from the bolt on the left to match the factory bolt on the right. (Photo 1) The steel used in these bolts isn't the greatest quality so that has slowed the process down some. So Richard2717 if your watching I'm making progress.
Nice work, HO455...I have never had the rear chrome strip and carpet out of the Beach-Burban before, but your post made me run outside and pull it up just to see what you were talking about! Interesting bolts...smooth flat heads, right? Mine still have original paint covering them and although the nut and excess shank hanging down are rusty, they look as if penetrating oil would spin them off in one piece. My plywood looks to be in real good shape, so hopefully I won't have to find out if that's true or not! Thanks for the education...I refer to your build thread quite often.
Woody
Beach-Burban is offline   Reply With Quote