View Single Post
Old 08-02-2019, 11:22 PM   #76
cpnbnanamn

Re: 1 barrel rochester carb 1967 problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWNate1 View Post
NO Problem ! .

The flat spot off idle is very common and you must take the steps to ensure everything else is *perfect* before touching the carby or you'll chase your tail endlessly and hate the rig .

You'll need a 12 volt, inductive timing light ($30 new @ O'Reilly's), a dwell tachometer (pawn shops have these cheaply) and a vacuum gauge (another $5 used tool at the pawn / thrift shop) and some new vacuum hose .

Have some patience, we'll walk you through it .
PROGRESS!!!
Finished a tune-up, and then kinda baselined the carb. Found that I had the mixture WAAAY too far out, so after the tune-up was done, reset the mixture to 1-1/2 turns, and she fired right up! Backed the idle down, but I still have that flat spot off of idle. If I go easy into it, it revs right up, but jump on it a little, it damn near drops out. I do see some improvement in running, though.
Ok, so to answer a few questions I've gotten: The accelerator pump seems to be working. Watched the throat while hitting the accelerator, opening the plate, I see a pretty good spray down the carb throat. I also sprayed carb cleaner around the base, intake manifold, vacuum line, anywhere I could think of that air might be getting in. I might be doing it wrong, but as far as I can tell, not leaking.
I'm in the process of gathering tools up. I have a timing light, but not sure if it's any good. And I think I have a vacuum gauge.