View Single Post
Old 08-04-2019, 09:50 PM   #78
cpnbnanamn

Re: 1 barrel rochester carb 1967 problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWNate1 View Post
Progress ! .

Also check to ensure the distributor's vacuum advance line is connected so ot gets no vacuum signal at idle but gets lots of vacuum the *instant* the throttle is opened .

Suck on the vacuum hose and see if it holds vacuum1 as long as your tongue is on it, they're available new and plenty of good used ones out there too .

A new inductive dynamic timing light is under $40, I get good quality ones @ pawn shops for $5 because no one wants them, be sure to test before paying for any used light .

The ones with the advance dial on the back as the best .

Set idle timing to 8 ~ 10 degrees BTDC at 700 or less RPM .
Ok, so I had some help today, and we made a few adjustments. Verified that the vacuum advance was working, and checked the vacuum coming from the carb (22 psi). Adjusted the timing to ~11 BTDC - The engine seemed to like that. The flat spot has improved a little but is still very much there. It's running at about ~700 rpm at idle.

I also discovered I probably need to replace the throttle return spring. The friend that was helping me has suggested that I may need to rebuild the carb again - feels that the ethanol gas may be eating at the gaskets / plunger cup for the accelerator pump.

While I'm happy it's running better - I'm frustrated at the same time. Kinda feel like I"m chasing my tail.

Oh, and we damn near burned the truck and house down. The wire that comes from the starter solenoid to the positive side of the coil shorted, and damn near caught fire.