Thread: 292 Questions
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2019, 12:32 PM   #174
May70

Re: 292 Questions

Richardj,

Aside from what I posted above, here is a follow up to your previous message and some others. I just went out to look at the distributor. The two wires looked ok, they weren't loose and I didn't see any frays. I checked to make sure I couldn't rotate the cap with the bolt tight, It didn't rotate. Then I took the cap off and turned the shaft and let go and it seemed to spring back to where it was. I then checked to see if I could move the plate with the vac advance attached, I couldn't. The points look ok to me, I put the new condenser back in it because the old points looked rough (pics of new and old points below).

When I started it up I noted the timing had advanced more than it was before. High rpm about 1200 and it sounded like it was missing. I thought that the springs would bring it back to the timing I had it at before. Maybe Ive got something confused.. anyway

I started to re adjust the timing, at around 0-2 degrees the vacuum reading was about 18 and the truck would die out much quicker than before. It seemed like the symptoms were intensified. I set it back to 12 degrees of advance and it followed the basically same pattern as in the videos previously at an idle vac reading of 22. Dwell was at 31 at idle but it would drop to 28/29 when I gave it gas. Idle rpm was roughly 580. As I changed the advance I would tweak the carb to keep the rpm under 600.

Im not sure if this info means something or if I can use it to narrow down anything. Since I had to tweak the carb with the advance changing im not sure I can say if the issue is ignition.
Attached Images

Last edited by May70; 08-05-2019 at 02:11 PM.
May70 is offline   Reply With Quote