View Single Post
Old 08-13-2019, 06:20 PM   #10
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Re: Need some advice from you guys on what size truck to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67C10Step View Post
My 1500 5.3 4x4 would pull that 4500 lb trailer fine and it has a factory (adjustable) brake controller. I am always more concerned on the woah over the go so trailer brakes are a necessity. However, I think the 5.3 is lacking in the torque category and the 6 liter makes up a bit for that. In the hills or mountains you would not regret the larger engine.

Also, for pulling the rear suspension on the 2500 is more than enough to handle the load but is your trailer 4500 listed on the nameplate? Your actual, loaded weight will most likely be a good bit more than that once you get it loaded with all your travelling needs.

If you are going to drive the truck more without the trailer perhaps you would like the lighter truck better. If it's primary purpose is to pull your loaded trailer, I still like the 2500 option.
I too think the 1500 would pull the trailer just fine on the level ground ,,but coming up from the Snake River is a winding road and steep for 30 miles ,so from reading from you guys I think the 2500 will be the safe way to go ,thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
I also installed air bags when I lifted it back close to when it was new.. go stuck too many times just getting to camp so had to put a little more ground clearance under it..

the air bags work great! 10psi per 100lbs lift.. I opted for simple valve stems under rear bumper but onboard compressors with gauges etc. readily available..

air bags are great for adjusting heavier loads and leveling out.. even heavier trucks could take advantage of this but often overlooked..

this would have been rough without airbags.. and mine are old and don't hold very well very long but made this trip down the mountain from ojai to orange county much less stressful

level wheel wells on truck and trailer sail much smoother!

good luck!

I had air bags on my duramax and it leveled out the two real good ,,I will seee how the travel trailer and what ever truck I get looks like for level and then decide on air bags ,, thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypressbog View Post
I hate spending others money, but since you asked...I'm in the same situation and decided to buy a 1/2 ton Ram with the Hemi. What we think we're getting for a trailer is quite similar to yours. Plan to use a weight distributing hitch and make sure both trailer axles have brakes. If there's an upgrade to the truck brakes be sure to spend that money.
I will use a weight distributing hitch for sure no matter if its a 1500 or 2500 ,, I do like that hitch,, If you dont have any or not many steep hills ,,then for what i get from the guys here on the forum or on the street ,, you probably will do ok... good luck to you