View Single Post
Old 08-14-2019, 08:34 AM   #19
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Re: Need some advice from you guys on what size truck to buy

[quote=jeffahart; I would really test the turning radius of the 4x4 trucks vs the 2wd. A good turning radius makes backing into tight spots easier.

Have fun!

j[/QUOTE]

I either forgot or did not know that 4/4's do not turn as sharp as 2 Wheelers.. I had a 4/4 and 24 ft travel trailer and a couple places this might of came into play ,,but only a couple .

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
My two cents.

2500, 2 or 4 wheel drive, with a 6.0 engine, brake controller, equalizer hitch.

I have both 1500 with 5.3 and 2500 with 6.0. The 1500 will do the job just fine, but the 2500 will do it that much easier.

I love the integral brake controllers. They just work better than an add on controller.
I know you have many of both the 1500 and 2500 and like others here you say the 1500 will do it but the 2500 does it better, I think this is the consensus here and I will be looking for a 2500 .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
The 2500 have bigger brakes don't they? Heavier springs for sure. I sometimes think I should have shopped even longer trying to find a 2500 with 6.0 to handle our towing a little easier. My 1500 crew does the job but I do baby it under load. I don't want to strain the trans or brakes.
I believe they do from what others have said ,, the transmission is another thought to think of too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
I have towed boats, campers, car trailers, etc. all my life. I switched to Ram and Dodge years ago simply because they are better for towing. A Ram 1500 standard 5.7 has 395 hp and 375 ft. lbs. of torque (what you need for towing) and an eight speed trans. A 5.3 has 285-310 hp and 325 ft lbs of torque. I have a 27 ft pull behind camper now and pull it with my Durango SRT (475 hp and 470 ft. lbs. of torque) simply because it is lower and easier for my wife with MS to get into. I have always had pickups and if I bought another it would be another Ram due to its engine and superior towing ability. I wish that they would put the 6.4 that is in the Durango in a 1500, but you have to go to a 2500 to get it and it is slighty watered down from what is put in my SRT. In any event, I suggest that you take a look at a Ram also. You are a veteran tower so you don't need to be told about hitching etc.
I just may do that ,,but no diesel as the wife and I both do not like the loud noise the make .. the gas rigs would be fine ,, not sure just how much difference a 6.4 Ram engine is with gas mileage compared to a 6.0 GMC ,,but that is something I would want to know before buying as I plan on a couple 2500 mile trips each year plus camping close by where we live and they would add up to being 250 mile round trips ..