View Single Post
Old 08-14-2019, 12:24 PM   #858
SCOTI

Re: "Crewcab Jake" the 84 to 74 conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
You know I am prone to over think things. No where near your level, but you do know me. If I were to build this motor it would open up a can of works. It would be a ground up build and that would require a ton of research that I just dont have time to do.

If my plan doesnt work, I will take my ass whooping and move on.
I understand. If I were 'building' a big-block, it definitely would have different parts vs. its 'stockish' internals. But, I didn't want (wasn't prepared for) the LS swap project @ that time even though I already had the freshly removed 6.0/4l80e & un-cut wiring harness sitting on a pallet in my garage. I just wanted/needed the truck going again ASAP.

The local rebuilder was able to make a couple of small changes based off of alternative parts from the same suppliers they already used (flat-tops vs. dished pistons & rv/towing cam vs. stock specs). There was only a small increase in cost for the cam. It was all fresh within a week w/a warranty. In my book, that's working smarter (not hesitant once it hits the road & hoping nothing else fails). I KNEW what the motor was now & didn't have to worry about it. It also would pay for itself if when sold on down the line as I have all rebuild info & supporting documentation. It was a nice feeling knowing the cylinders were round & fresh; plus the bearings, freeze-plugs, rings, heads, & valves/seats/seals were all starting over FRESH once it hit the highway....

I'm just talking about my experience of being in a similar situation. Seems for under or <2k, it's a modest/small investment (that you can get a return on) until you have the proper time for the updated drivetrain swap.

Make whatever decision you want
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote