View Single Post
Old 08-17-2019, 10:30 PM   #6
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: GMC used truck owned by an old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard60 View Post
The GMC truck line is actually older than the Chevrolet line of trucks. Many years ago the GMC truck was believed to be a heavier built truck so it sold more to the people who wanted a heavier truck. Or so I’m told. My father was one of the believers of this.
I was talking in a modern sense. That it was to give other GM companies a full line of vehicles. With out the full line mentality GMC likely would of gone away.

As the modern concept/practice of selling cars came into being GMC was effectively with out a home. Chevy sold pretty much everything they did. I have heard GMC was always more heavy duty the Chevy, and what I have seen on 60-66 trucks. I have a tendency to believe it. Although largely over after then run of 67-72 models. The square bodies is where GMC really was just a small step nicer. Less base engines out there, and usually they have better 1/2 ton suspension. Just as now GMC is always more luxurious then Chevy, and always has the top engine in 1/2 ton trucks. 3/4 ton, and above it just is more luxury at relative matching trim levels. Plus more available options.

It is a mixed bag of half truths and such. With no real facts to say yeah or neah. I have looked a lot years ago, but no one has actually documented anything as of yet I am aware of. My feelings are based of what I previously read, and a life of wasted hot rodding.

If you read about GM in the 60's each car company filled a slice of the pie. Or at least this is where you could read about it being really enforced by corporate. Which the stodgy GM execs give rise to Delorean, and his GTO. Plus the Chevy COPO "program" among many other things we hear of today.

To me not even being a Mopar guy, and of yet still have never personally owned one. My ex-wife had a 09 Charger. I am really taken back by Dodge's programs of the pre-muscle car era till it's end. Plus all the wild, and crazy packages they offered. Having been reading about them off, and on for 17 years since I was 28. You would think I would have jumped on the direct connection band wagon, but as of this writing. I have still only tried to buy 2 72-75 D100's, and missed them by mere minutes each time. I have since purchased a 73 GMC C20 for the title as the rest of it was damn near pure rust bucket. Which I will turn into my dream muscle truck, and look for another D100 later later.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote