Thread: Bed wood sketch
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2019, 10:07 PM   #25
ACK

Re: Bed wood sketch

Here's my experience, some of this is obvious and some of it might not be the best approach ...
- Fix up the tubs if they need it while they're off. I coated the insides with bed liner. Time permitting, clean or paint the frame, replace trailing arms and/or bushings, check wire harness, etc.
- Bed bolt kits don't always include the hidden bolts for the wheel tubs nor the bed frame bolts, in case you need them, too
- Install wood with the bed off if possible, it provides easier access and no working on your back
- Don't worry if the wood seems a little long when you put it in, just gently push into place and things will fall together
- I worked from the middle out and prairie dogged in and out of the gaps putting nuts and bolts into place
- Confirm the boards with the frame bolt holes are facing the right direction and on the proper sides
- Don't crank down the bolts until everything is installed, just a loose fit until it's all together
- The bed sill nuts and bolts are a pain. Put a weight on the bolt head, fumble a washer and lock washer onto the bolt. In the other hand, have the nut in a deep socket (or short socket with an extension) with some paper or piece of rag in it so the bolt sits a little proud. Makes getting the nut aligned and onto the threads a lot easier
- Don't pre-drill the bed side and wheel tub holes into the wood, put things in position, center punch, then carefully drill the wood while it's in place
- I had 2 different size bolts for the install and no instructions. The only place it got weird was where the bed strips, the bed sides, and the wheel tubs all meet. Working from the middle out, it was easy to figure out which size went where due to the few remaining bolts
- Confirm the wheel tub is hooked under the bedside before installing and tightening the hidden bolts. I put a little anti-seize on these threads
- Once things are together and you're happy, measure corner to corner and square up the bed
- Once squared, I tightened down everything. When done, every bolt got another 1/4 turn to confirm it was tight and none were missing
- With things tightened down, aligning the frame bolts was a little bit of a choir, however, the thought of tighten all the bolts up with the bed on the frame sent shivers down my spine. A little anti-seize on the frame bolts can't hurt
- Place the rubber bed pads in place after the bed is on, push the bed up and slide into place, use a screw driver or punch to align
- Put painters tape along the length of the gap where the tailgate trunnions bolt on so the paint doesn't get scratched up installing the tailgate
- Crack open a beer and admire your work

The one mistake I made was putting the bed on with the rear bumper in place, should have left it off. Also, should have replaced cab corners while the bed was off, but that's another project for another day – hence the anti-seize on the frame bolts.

Would like to hear others experience doing this in case I have to do it again one of these days.