View Single Post
Old 08-21-2019, 03:13 AM   #22
68BlueBeast

Re: Recently Purchase my First Heavy Hauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by c60clf View Post
I love these trucks, great to have so much documentation, I have a low milage 72 c50 and taken on plenty of trips and it has run well. People are starting to get excited about these trucks and are restoring,rat rodding, and making big picups out of. Pat
I like the two trucks of yours I have seen, the green 66 and the red 72. They look like really nice trucks

I don't have any plans to change anything on mine. I like it as is and have no desire to make it a low rider, pickup or cut the crap out of it. The only thing I want to do is clean up some of the leaks at some point. The hydraulic system leaks and the transmission, rearend and engine have leaked at some point so there is dirt caked on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvmt-Pndr View Post
If you look at the prices of newer trucks vs fixing an older truck like one of these up it's no wonder why. Worse case scenario for my C60 is I have a total of $10k (not restoring but making usable on today's roads). Compare that to a newer medium duty truck and I come out way ahead. Plus in my opinion they look a lot better too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C10 - C90 Bill View Post
Totally agree, plus we still get to Shift, lol.

Many trucks today and just about all of the smaller ones don't have a Clutch anymore.

Plus the prices are crazy as mentioned.
I was curious when you guys mentioned this so I looked at it today. From what I can see, and this may not be accurate and up to date, a new 2019 Silverado 5500 4x2 starts at $51,000 for just a cab and chassis. That is crazy. By the time you get the truck off the lot, because you know there are no absolutely basic trucks there, and put something on the back you are talking big bucks. No thanks, I will take my truck and the couple grand I spent on it any day of the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbee View Post
nice find! This is exactly what I'm looking for.
Sorry, can't have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 View Post
I don't know the numbers, but are those the two piece wheels that you have to hammer the two halves together/apart? If so, I used to change those all the time myself and never had any problem (except sweat!).

Looks like you are in western MT so probably hundreds of miles from me, or else I could show you how to do them.
I am just outside Helena in the Scratchgravel Hills.

They are the ones commonly referred to as "widowmakers", a two piece rim that splits in the center like the diagram in the bottom left:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
Wish I could find one that clean
You obviously didn't look closely at the engine.
68BlueBeast is offline   Reply With Quote