View Single Post
Old 08-21-2019, 06:28 AM   #17
special-K
Special Order

Re: Big Shout-Out for Orielly's Auto Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
In the seventies my wife was office manager for a company named Jobbers Motor Supply. JMS was the mother company/warehouse of Continental Auto Supply stores.

Continental Auto Supply and O'Reilly stores were in Arkansas and Missouri.

When my wife got pregnant with our first baby and she quit. Shortly after JMS/Continental Auto Supply sold to O'Reilly Auto Parts in Springfield, MO.
You reminded me of a resource I had for parts back in those days where it took more than turning on a computer to be resourceful. There was a place in a not so visible location I dealt with named simply "Parts Jobbers". It was like a back door operation that supplied shops and maybe local parts houses, too. You had to know to know. I don't think they even had a sign up.
I had a mechanic put me on to them. They found parts!! You didn't expect anything yesterday back then. Just getting the part was a blessing. When I couldn't get rear drums for my '70 Custom Camper/30 from Chevy when I totally rebuilt the hubs/brakes/etc I called them. They found me a pair somewhere in the country and stated there were only 9 left... period. This was before internet and they had a heck of a network of some sort. I think they had every parts warehouse in the country in their Rollex and they would call until they found the part.

I remember one time I went for some part and they had me pay, then sent me directly to some big wholesale distribution warehouse so I could get it right then. They were all about being helpful to the customer as if it was themselves needing the part.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote