View Single Post
Old 08-24-2019, 10:39 AM   #39
volksworld

Re: A/C factory or Aftermarket

93 chevy motorhome....last of the r12 systems...compressor went bad( sanden like the aftermarket kits use)...couldnt find a new one that came with the proper oil for r12 and didnt want to disassemble a new one to properly clean it...so new compressor, new barrier hoses, new reciever drier and new expansion valve...removed and flushed everything else, evacuated with 6cfm pump...and used 134....system is no way as cold as it originally was...sure it drops 20 degrees from ambient temp and is technically functioning properly but the volume of air inside the camper is so large that it never recirculates progressively colder air so the best it puts out is about 60 degrees...shouldnt be an issue in a pickup with a tiny cab...i cant even go for a parallel condensor cause the bottom half of mine is also the engine oil cooler...so i regret the conversion and was warned it wouldnt be as efficient by a friend who does auto a/c but saw many people on line swear that their conversions would freeze you out so i figured id try...and i still have plenty of r12 and a source to buy it