View Single Post
Old 08-30-2019, 07:02 PM   #22
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: What's the deal with the front of this steering wheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy500 View Post
Deadhead, thanks for posting that, i have noticed it too but never thought much about it being actually different grain. I see now it is

Tony, i looked at a few cracked wheels i have here, the piece that your missing seems to not come off, its glued or molded in. Wonder why its MIA
That piece (dust shield) is attached with molded plastic, perhaps glue as well. They probably probably broke it.

I have my new wheel and "spare" dust cover sitting in a box. I'll show you guys what it looks like when I get to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
My wheel (part # 97497530) is the original from the factory unless the dealer had some reason to change it in the months between production and when I bought the truck new in 1969. I put a leather cover on the wheel about 1972 when the truck had less than 25,000 miles. I removed the cover in 2010 at 118,713 miles when I started the restoration. I have looked at the grain many times and wondered what it would look like worn to a level similar to the "good" ones we normally see. Perhaps it would look the same as the others. Obviously, as mentioned above, more than one grain type could have been used with the same part number, but why would mine be unique other than it has very little wear?

That said, I have a spare tilt I rescued from a van that has the part #335212 wheel. I don't recall the year that the van was, but it must have been early 70s since the tilt has a metal gear indicator housing, a truck type indicator lens (both supposedly used only on truck tilts) and a curved wiring connector. That wheel has a pattern similar to what we normally see. I have another wheel which I believe came from my junkyard truck tilt that I will have access to in a couple days. I'll check the part number and post it here.

EDIT: Here's a link to a wheel sold here that both Tony and Pete responded to. It looks to me that my wheel might display this pattern if worn. It also may look like Tony's in post 2.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=706730

And a discussion Pete and I had in 2013 that involved part # 335212.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=575539
I wondered that too, is it possible all the grains were like yours at some point, and wear caused them to appear as a different grain? But I don't think so, the valleys seem much longer in the "later grain".

If there are two different grains, I'm not so sure it's as simple as "69-72" grain Vs "later van" grain. Might be a 69-70 grain Vs later grain, just guessing here.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 08-30-2019 at 07:08 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote