Thread: TA_C10: Stage 1
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2019, 11:57 AM   #324
TA_C10

Re: TA_C10: Stage 1

Update - Exhaust Hangers - Snappers

These little guys are really nice. Got them from Summit. Rubber isolators. I saw them in @gringoloco build. They worked perfect for my setup. However the hardware they send with them(button head bolt) wasn't the strongest. I was able to strip out the head(allen head) and then using channel locks I was able to twist the bolt in half pretty easily.

Now the reason I found all this out was because I decided to weld the nuts on the back side of my trailing arm x-member because after the 3" exhaust is installed, I won't be able to get a wrench or even a socket extension behind the plate I welded in/boxed in. No big deal, but I decided to try and weld in a nylon nyloc nut... I was hoping to weld it at the base and not melt the plastic but no deal, it friggin melted quick. Then of course I tried to run the bolt in it anyways to see if it would still work(at this point I didn't care about the locking function) and when I ran the bolt in, somehow a little sliver of metal made its way inside the melted plastic/nylon and got caught in the threads and my bolt was stuck. I ripped that sucker right in half without much effort. So I am probably going to get new bolts stage 5 should be plenty.

Here is the nut that melted. I ended up cutting that back off and welding a normal stage 5 nut on the back and they work great. I didn't take pictures of the final product.

And here they are installed. They work great. Let's hope they isolate well because this is a daily and I don't want vibrations and drone inside the cab. We will see.

Left side has button head allen bolt(came with hanger), right side is a stage 5 bolt I will probably end up using for both. And on the ground is the original button head bolt I twisted in half. You can see how short it is.

"It's only money".

Last edited by TA_C10; 09-04-2019 at 12:17 PM.
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote