Thread: 55.2-59 Power Steering and AC lines
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2019, 12:01 PM   #22
57tailgater

Re: Power Steering and AC lines

Back when I was working in the hydraulic fitting and hose arena there was hose specifically designed for power steering applications. The 100R2 that is show above is pretty high pressure 2 wire hydraulic hose. The hose designed for power steering would be for lesser pressure plus it has some give in it so when you got to full lock on the steering the pressure has somewhat of an accumulator effect to accommodate the pressure spike.

I also agree that "AN" fittings has become a generic term for 37 degree JIC fittings. From what I have experience and have seen, AN came from actual Army/Navy detail drawings. They mostly had Class 3A threads which were held to a much tighter tolerance than 2A threads that are common in regular and more common hydraulic fittings.

I would find out what max pressure and max temperature the system is run at, then get hose designed for the application and compatible for the fluid. I really don't see the need to try to get true AN (to my definition w/3A threads etc.) but get off the shelf JIC 37 degree fittings which should be sufficient for your application.
57tailgater is offline   Reply With Quote